The hard part of DIY-ing isn’t just the hunt for the perfect recipe- but also for ingredients and sustainable packaging! As the DIY Skincare community grows, we want to support you in your journey by giving you the low-down on the best spots to get DIY supplies in Toronto and the GTA, both online and IRL. We support re-use wherever possible when it comes to packaging: refer to our Guide to Sterilizing Glass Dropper Bottles before you decide to buy!
Retail Stores Selling DIY Skincare Supplies in Toronto
There’s a few special one-stop-shops for all things DIY Skincare in Toronto. These are the best choice if you're in a rush and need to grab supplies all in one spot.
- Annares Health has both a wide variety of essential oils, but also carrier oils and dry ingredients. They also have a selection of packaging if you’re in a pinch to bottle up your newest tincture!
- Bare Market, our favourite one-stop-shop for package-free goods, is about to open their permanent location in the East End! For now, shop their wide selection of ingredients and packaging on their online store (including clays, butters, waxes, carrier oils and even Vitamin E T-50 which is difficult to purchase in small quantities). You can organize direct pick up from their storage spot! They also offer BYOC which we are ALL about.
- Bulk Barn has a surprising number of DIY Skincare specific ingredients, depending on the location. We’ve seen arrowroot powder, shea butter, soap berries, epsom salts, citric acid, ascorbic acid, beeswax, a full range of essential oils at some of their stores! They also stock small quantities of carrier oils such as jojoba, sweet almond, argan and grapeseed oil. Perfect if you’re going to try your hand at the tricker-than-it-sounds DIY project: bath bombs!
- Green and Frugal has a great selection of ingredients available at their Bulk Refill Station, including carrier oils, clays, butters and waxes. They also carry a wide selection of packaging options, making it a great one-stop-shop in you're located in Scarborough or the east end of Toronto.
- Consolidated Bottle Corp sells direct to the public from their bottle store near St Clair Avenue West and Weston Road. You can get most boston round bottles there, tonnes of dropper and closure options as well as a large selection of vials, plastic amber bottles and spray nozzles for various projects from DIY facial oils to roll-on perfumes to DIY household cleaners. We recommend a visit as it's the easiest way to see availability and selection! Just don’t forget to check store hours before you head over as they are limited.
- We recently stumbled upon the skincare section in The Big Carrot- and found packaging too! If you’re located in the east end you can grab your boston rounds here, while getting groceries done! Easy peasy.
Retail Stores selling DIY Skincare Supplies in the GTA and beyond
If you're just outside of Toronto or in the GTA, there are still a tonne of spots to get DIY supplies! We'll keep this as a running list, so feel free to comment with a local spot if you've vetted it for DIY Supplies.
• Pale Blue Dot Shop has travel tins and glass amber bottles for DIY Skincare and cleaning supplies!
Peterborough & Huntsville:
• Sustain Eco Store has both glass bottles and jars available for your weekend DIY itch.
Cambridge & Guelph:
• Molloy's Bulk Refill & Soap has an impressive selection of hard-to-source ingredients. We recommend a visit to see what they have in store as they update their site. Let's just say they know what they're doing when it comes to DIY Skincare!
Online Stores Selling DIY Skincare Supplies in Canada:
If you’re serious about DIY Skincare, a couple of stores to check out in order to deck yourself out are:
- New Directions Aromatics is our go-to for most ingredients. They are one of the most trusted suppliers of high quality essential oils and botanical oils. You can also grab your clays, waxes and butters here while you're at it! They ship for free but you need a $100 minimum order. Pro tip? Choose the "local pick up" option at checkout to get your order turnaround time down from 7 days to just a couple!
- Yellow Bee has everything from clam-shell packaging to Mica's to Fragrance Oils to custom vinyl labels! This is the best place to get paperboard tubes as a sustainable replacement for plastic lip balm and deodorant tubes.
- Windy Point Soap Making Supplies is located in Alberta, so consider that when shipping. They're a great option for shampoo bar ingredients (like Germall Plus, Propandiol 1,3 and BTMS 50 etc) not available from other suppliers like NDA below. They are also a great resource for hard-to-find DIY Deodorant ingredients like Allatoin Powder and Magnesium Hydroxide in small, accessible quantities.
- Voyageur Soap & Candle has a good selection of DIY Skincare and Makeup basics, including biodegradable glitters and cosmetic colourants. They also have a great selection of glass packaging if you can't find what you need in one of the retail stores listed here.
- Candora Soap is yet another option for butters, oils, waxes and clays!
- Crystal Clear Bags isn't your cheapest but it does have a large selection of packaging that caters to all types of DIY projects. They also have some of the few biodegradable options available online. Disclaimer: many municipalities in Canada don't have the correct equipment to properly dispose of "biodegradable" plastics, so keep this in mind when shopping.
Often your local health store will also have epsom salts, citric acid, arrowroot powder and some butters and waxes in bulk. We always recommend getting quality ingredients from trusted suppliers to ensure efficacy and a responsible supply chain.
Let us know in the comments below if there's a store near you we should feature in this guide!
None in Niagara?…